2019-09-21, 12:25–13:05, Cage
This talk is about the bmc-toolbox, an open-source project that leverages the Baseboard Management Controller (iLOs iDracs and similar) to help manage a large fleet (>50K) of bare metal servers at Booking.com
Its goal is to provide vendor agnostic tooling to manage the lifecycle of bare metal servers,
this talk describes the tools part of bmc-toolbox and various aspects of managing a large fleet of bare metal servers.
The bmc-toolbox leverages the Baseboard Management Controller to help manage the lifecycle of datacenter bare metal. It provides vendor agnostic tools and a library in Go lang to inventorize, configure, manage, update a large fleet of bare metal assets with the help of the BMC.
- bmclib - A Go lang library that provides a consistent set of methods to interface with BMCs.
- dora - tool to inventorize a fleet of bare metal servers and chassis assets.
- bmcbutler - tool to handle configuration management for a fleet of bare metal server and chassis BMCs.
- actor - A single API webservice endpoint to interact with a fleet of bare metal BMCs.
- bmcldap - LDAP based authentication/authorization service/proxy for BMCs.
- bmcfwupd - tool to update the BMC firmware.
This talk covers,
- The challenges managing the provisioning and lifecycle of a not yet hyperscale size set of bare metal servers.
- The purpose of the tools included of bmc-toolbox, how they help make our lives easier
- How the tooling interacts with the BMCs (vendor specific APIs, Redfish)
- The current state of Redfish in the wild